24 Hours of LeMons to Support America’s Disabled Veterans
One in Three American veterans is dealing with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder).
PTSD is is a diagnosed condition that can develop after a person is exposed to a traumatic event. PTSD is a very common condition for many veterans after military service. Symptoms can include disturbing thoughts, feelings, or dreams related to the events, mental or physical distress, difficulty sleeping, and changes in how a person thinks and feels.
For all too many veterans, returning from military service means coping with symptoms of PTSD. Veterans may have a hard time readjusting to life out of the military. Symptoms include being constantly on edge, being emotionally numb and disconnected, or close to panicking or exploding.
Recovery from PTSD is a gradual, ongoing process. Healing doesn’t happen overnight, nor do the memories of the trauma ever disappear completely. Research has shown that service dogs reduce the symptoms of PTSD in veterans.
A 2015-16 study showed that overall symptoms of PTSD were lower among war veterans with service dogs. The study was co-funded by the Human Animal Bond Research Institute (HABRI) and Bayer Animal Health.
It costs on average $45,000.00 to train a fully qualified service dog for a physically handicapped veteran and $3,000.00 for obedience training for a dog that will be an unconditional support companion for a veteran with PTSD.
The 2020 Tour de USA 24 Hours of Lemons Challenge
Our goal is to raise enough money to fully fund the cost of obedience training for 10 rescue dogs that will go to veterans suffering from PTSD. That’s $30,000 we need to raise but we’ll be giving then veterans and ten dogs a new lease on life. What could be better?
To Do’s to Get Our 2020 24 Hours of Lemons Car and Team Organized
- Find a car for $500 or less
- Form a crack team of 4-6 drivers and some men/women who know about fixing cars
- Raise enough cash from our friends to pay for the safety equipment that needs to go in the car
- Create a fundraising program that will generate the $30k to give 10 PTSD veterans a trained companion dog
Benefits of Being On the 2020 Tour de USA 24 Hours of Lemons Team
- Giving back to our disabled veteran community
- Helping educate people about PTSD and how it can destroy lives
- Being part of a great team
- Being a key member of an automotive adventure
- Scratching that itch about being a “racecar driver”
- And just huge fun! [click on the videos to the right and see just how much fun these men and women are having!
Interested in Helping Our Vet Community?
Complete the contact form below and we’ll put you on the information list. Just information no commitment!